Wednesday, May 07, 2008

GeoCaching OR BUST!

We are total newbies!
My sister-in-law Marilee has done LetterBoxing and GeoCaching for years so I finally looked it up and was stoked to see a Cache at the park on our street (said park shall remain nameless, but I'm sure the locals can figure it out). We are at this park SO many times a week!
I read up on all the "rules" and the strict adherence to not searching for boxes while "muggles" are around and not raising suspicion. Luckily tonight there was no one at the park, but as Kya and I got closer to our GPS coordinates we saw one family. Sure enough, they were scavenging through the brush and yes, they were geocaching as well! So how oblivious have I been?!?!?! (Don't answer - ha!)
This serious geo-father here couldn't find the box nor could I. So we'll be going back tomorrow to hunt the sucker down. It's been there since 2003 and TONS of people have found it (even this week) so I KNOW it's there...
My next stop is a book exchange geocaching site that is right down the hill from us. Stay tuned!
It's like a treasure hunt where you log your name, take a treasure and replace it with a treasure of your own! Click here for more info!

9 comments:

Jacquie said...

What!? Ok, so I'm obviously oblivious too. I'm gonna go read up on the post you provided now so I can know what you are talking about. It sounds fun!

Christine said...

LetterBoxing? Never heard of that. But Devin has taken the Fish Heads GeoCaching and that is fun for them. I'll have to find out about the LBing thing.

HalnJess said...

Ya, there seem to be fewer letterboxes (but maybe more historically significant places? maybe not) but you stamp their logs--no great treasure, unfortunately!

Michelle said...

So...have you found it yet? I've never heard of this before. I guess I been living in a cave! It sounds like fun but I'm thinking the the GPS/navigation in my car (it's built in) won't do the trick in finding one unless I'm able to drive over bushes and fences and whatever else stands in the way!

Mike'n'Amy said...

Happy Mother's Day, amazing warrior. I'm thinking of you today and wishing we could share a chat while munching on the candy bar we'll get at church. :D

Tristan said...

Wait...what is this??? I have no idea what you are talking about...please explain and invite us to do it with you!

Happy Mother's Day!

Bea said...

I had no idea about this interesting world of letterboxing!! Hope you had a great Mother's day!

HalnJess said...

Ok, YES!! Hal took Kya and Kenzie back to "really" find the cache and it was moved from the GPS coordinates but SO fun to find!! Kya and Kenzie are now my little guru's dying to go back out!! (My dad joked that this may actually get Kenzie excited to go hiking with us more!)

You guys are so sweet. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO EVERYONE!

Shannon and Cameron said...

You are way ahead of this on this whole technology thing... I want in on this adventure.