Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Going under the knife

Meet my surgeon:
So cheesy, but Dr Torres on Gray's is giddy about breaking and resetting bones. And in walks my surgeon. Although he's a 60 yr old male version, he was yanking my hand around the 1st visit and drawing all over me. Needless to say Hal walked out of the appointment laughing out loud and he LOVED the guy for it. No shame. No pain. Just give me your hand.
My next appt with him: One of the breaks isn't doing well and we need to go under the knife this week. I was not thrilled and he looked at me (I'm sure he saw the hint of tears welling up in my eyes) and stopped, sat down and began talking to me. I love this guy. Now I'm more than just a cool broken hand! He's talked to my OB--even though my 1st appt to meet my OB is still two days away.
It's quite comical to be this new--I still don't have insurance cards yet or even know where this hospital is. I went to the wrong one. ha! I haven't met my OB and I'm luckily 2 weeks further along than the monitoring period for a fetus in surgery. (is that supposed to make you feel better?).
A dr. commented, "it's ok because your baby has all it's parts by now." umm...seriously? So what happens when you operate at like 4 months? Do they not grow the rest of an arm? I thought that was a funny comment. Luckily they've done this all before and aren't worried.

8 comments:

Mike'n'Amy said...

Ho.Ly.Cow.

C&K said...

This sounds like a great start to a new town! I am so sorry, how not fun! If it makes you feel better, I know where the hospital is here, but I still don't know where any doctor's are or how to work my insurance! We use the "pray-it-goes-away" method of healing!

Tammy said...

Aggghhh! Not fun. Keep us updated. We will be thinking of you. When are you having the surgery?

Katie said...

Dang jess, you are a true soldier!! That's all crazy!! Keep me posted!! And way to be ahead of the game with the pregnancy... or maybe it's baby whiting who's responsible for that... you whitings- so SPEEDY!!! haha

Unknown said...

Well at least its been confirmed.. yet again - that the baby has all its parts now - that is pretty rad... lol... did you say thanks sherlock... now where is holmes... LOL

Jamee said...

Oh, dear! Just think positive thoughts. That was the only way I could get through my hospitalization a couple of weeks ago. Anyway... people at preschool are wondering where you and Kya are. They didn't know you guys moved. Take care. Thinking of you.

LaFish said...

Holy Moly Jess! Never a dull moment with you guys! Good luck with the surgery and finding the right hospital:) Keep us posted!

Michelle said...

When's the surgery? Can I bring you dinner? I wish you lived closer so that I could do that. I hope it all goes well. I didn't know they'd do non essential surgeries while pregnant.